If you have had tooth pain before, you know it can ruin your entire day. If you do not deal with it immediately, the misery lasts even longer and can impact your quality of life!
There is no reason to suffer when you can see a tooth pain specialist in Reston, VA for diagnosis and treatment to protect your dental health.
What Causes Tooth Pain?
Most patients do not realize that teeth have a complex anatomy, and this makes them rather susceptible to damage. There are many causes of tooth pain, so let’s break it down into types:
- Sensitivity: Have you had a drink of cold water or eaten hot food and noticed pain? This is likely due to sensitivity. While it might not be serious at all, it can also be due to a cavity or a loose filling.
If you notice sensitivity after dental work, there is probably no reason to worry. It is not uncommon for dental work to result in temporary inflammation. If the sensitivity persists for longer than two weeks, you should see a tooth pain specialist in Reston, VA to find out why.
- Sharp pain while chewing: This can be due to tooth decay, a loose filling, or a cracked tooth. There could also be damage to the pulp, which is tissue located inside your tooth.
- Lingering pain after eating cold or hot food: The most likely culprit is pulp that has been damaged from decay or trauma.
- Constant, severe pain: One of the most common causes of this is a tooth infection. If this is the case, you may notice swelling, a bad taste, difficulty chewing or opening your mouth, and a fever.
- Dull ache and pressure in your jaw and upper teeth: Grinding your teeth (bruxism) and sinus infections can cause these symptoms. You may be surprised to learn that a dentist can prescribe medications for a sinus infection!
Here Are Preventative Measures You Need to Know
Naturally, some tooth pain cannot be prevented. Dental emergencies happen! But, a consistent and proactive routine can certainly go a long way.
Scheduling regular checkups is only one part of dental care. You should also brush your teeth twice daily using toothpaste that contains fluoride, and floss to remove plaque between teeth. Use a quality toothbrush, and replace it every three to four months. Use a mouthwash containing fluoride for additional protection.
What you consume matters! Be sure to maintain a nutritious diet, and limit sugary, acidic foods / drinks. Stay hydrated to promote saliva production. You should also avoid tobacco, which can contribute to gum disease and tooth decay.
Lastly, wear a mouthguard during activities with potential impact, such as sports, to prevent injuries.
How Do I Find a Reputable Tooth Pain Specialist in Reston, VA?
These five simple steps can lead you to a specialist right for you:
- Start by asking for recommendations from your general dentist and others you trust.
- Research online reviews and ratings of dental specialists in your area.
- Check with your insurance provider to identify in-network providers.
- Verify the credentials and experience of the specialist to ensure they have experience addressing tooth pain and related issues. You can also inquire about their approach to pain management, emergency services, and scheduling flexibility.
- Evaluate the specialist’s communication style and ensure they make you feel comfortable. Ultimately, it is important to choose a specialist who aligns with your needs and preferences.
Perfect Smiles of Reston Is Where You Can Achieve Ultimate Dental Wellness!
Our team, led by Dr. Aramesh Darvishian, is proud to offer our patients the best general and cosmetic dentistry services.
If you are experiencing tooth pain, we encourage you to call us at 703-982-7355 now to get the help you need!