What begins as a cavity can lead to complications, and you know the pain can be unbearable if you’ve had an abscessed tooth. It shouldn’t be left untreated.
This guide to same-day tooth extractions in Reston, Virginia is informative and can help you feel at ease if you’re facing this problem, which can turn into a dental emergency if left untreated.
What Exactly Is an Abscessed Tooth?
This occurs when bacteria invade, leading to a pocket of pus caused by infection. This infection can lead to troubling issues, and it will not go away on its own. If it’s left untreated, spreading to the body is possible.
Symptoms of an infected tooth or gums include:
- Bad smell coming from the mouth
- Discomfort from hot or cold temperatures
- Discomfort with pressure from biting and chewing
- Severe discomfort in or around the affected tooth / gums, as well as around the jawbone, neck, and / or ear
- Sudden ill-tasting fluid in the mouth if the abscess ruptures
- Swollen face, cheek, or neck
- Tender and / or swollen lymph nodes under the jaw or in the neck
How Can a Tooth Become Infected?
They become infected primarily due to untreated dental issues like cavities. Additionally, trauma, cracked teeth, or gum disease can create pathways for bacteria. Microorganisms multiply within the tooth, leading to infection.
What Happens During an Extraction?
Same-day tooth extractions in Reston, Virginia should be done sooner rather than later. There is more than one type of extraction, and your dentist will make a recommendation based on your particular needs.
A straightforward or simple dental extraction entails removing teeth that are easily seen in the mouth. Typically performed by general dentists in their dental offices, this procedure involves the application of a local anesthetic to numb the area, ensuring patient comfort during the process.
Surgical extractions are a bit more complicated. During this procedure, a dentist or oral surgeon makes an incision to access the tooth, which may be impacted or not easily visible. They may remove bone tissue or section the tooth if necessary.
After a surgical extraction, sutures may be used, and recovery typically requires more time compared to a simple extraction.
Is There Anything I Can Do for At-Home Relief?
There is, but it’s important to remember these suggestions are not a substitute for proper dental care. Until you can see your dentist, you can try these three popular home remedies to help with tooth pain:
- Salt water rinse: Using saltwater for rinsing safely initiates the process of disinfecting the tooth. Combine 1/2 teaspoon of regular table salt with 1/2 cup of warm tap water. Swish with it for a few minutes before spitting it out. If necessary, repeat this procedure every few hours.
- Baking soda: This can be a fast and efficient remedy for alleviating pain from an infected tooth. Combine 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda with 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of table salt. Swish with the mixture for a few minutes, spit, and repeat until it’s completely used up.
- Cold compress: Place a cold compress on the infected area in 15-minute intervals. Repeat as necessary. This approach can provide relief by numbing the area and reducing inflammation.
Trust Perfect Smiles of Reston for Your Same-Day Tooth Extractions in Reston, Virginia!
Our team, led by world-renowned Dr. Aramesh Darvishian believes you deserve a beautiful, healthy smile and the comprehensive care required to have just that! We provide general, cosmetic, and emergency dental services.
If you suspect you have an infected tooth, please contact us right away at 703-982-7355! We’re here to help and look forward to working with you on a safe and effective solution.