Have you ever bitten into an apple or crunched down on a hard piece of candy, and quickly came to the realization that your tooth just chipped?
It’s an undeniably scary experience, but you can relax knowing that the best chipped tooth and emergency dentist in Tysons Corner is here to help. Here’s how they can help in a dental emergency!
How Do I Care for My Broken Tooth at Home Until I Can Visit a Dentist?
If you broke or chipped your tooth, it is important to take some deep breaths to calm down and use these steps to manage the situation:
- Rinse your mouth. Rinse gently with warm water to clean the area around the broken or chipped tooth.
- Save any broken pieces. If you can locate the broken pieces of the tooth, carefully save them. Rinse them with water if needed, and keep them in a clean container with a bit of milk or saliva. If the entire tooth has been knocked out, try to gently re-insert it into its socket.
- Control bleeding. If there is any bleeding from the broken tooth or surrounding gum tissue, apply gentle pressure with a clean piece of gauze or a cloth until the bleeding stops.
- Reduce swelling. If you experience swelling, you can apply a cold compress or ice pack wrapped in a cloth to the affected area on your cheek or lips.
- Seek dental care ASAP. Contact your dentist immediately to schedule an appointment. They will be able to assess the extent of the damage and provide appropriate treatment options to fix a broken tooth.
What Procedures Does My Emergency Dentist Do to Fix My Tooth?
After you have contacted the best chipped tooth and emergency dentist in Tysons Corner, it’s time to explore your options for treating your broken tooth. This includes consulting with your provider to assess the situation, provide pain management, and choose treatment, which is likely to be one or a combination of the following procedures.
- Dental bonding / filling
If you have chipped off only a small piece of your tooth and the rest of your tooth is still intact, then your dentist may recommend a dental bonding or filling. The damage may be repaired with a filling or, in the cases that the tooth is visible when smiling, they will fill it with a tooth-colored composite resin in a procedure known as a dental bonding.
- Dental cap / crown
A dental cap or crown is placed when the damage to your tooth is severe or there’s a significant amount of decay. Your dentist may grind or file away part of your remaining tooth, then place a crown or tooth-shaped cap to protect your tooth and improve its appearance.
- Dental veneers
A veneer is particularly helpful if you sustained damage to your front tooth or any teeth that are visible when you smile or laugh. A dental veneer is a thin, tooth-colored shell made of porcelain or composite resin to cover the whole front of your tooth, similarly to how a false nail would cover your real nail.
- Root canal therapy
A root canal is typically suggested when the tooth chip or break is large enough to expose the actual pulp of your tooth, which is the center of your tooth containing nerves and blood vessels. It can become infected, damaged, diseased, and even die.
Root canal therapy goes in to remove any infected or dead pulp, clean the area, and seal it to prevent further complications.
Meet With the Best Chipped Tooth and Emergency Dentist in Tysons Corner at Perfect Smiles of Reston!
Perfect Smiles is proudly serving Reston and beyond with high-quality dental services, including restorative dentistry procedures to correct broken, cracked, or missing teeth!
Call us at 703-982-7355 to book an appointment and learn more. We can’t wait to help you reclaim your smile!