Often striking unexpectedly, a dental emergency can feel pretty scary. Not only do you have the physical symptoms, but you also have the emotional ones such as fear and anxiety.
Thankfully, 24/7 emergency dental services in Sterling are available to address your oral healthcare needs!
But, how do you know if you have an emergency? It can be hard to determine whether you need to see a dentist right away or you can wait for a later appointment.
Why Do You Need 24/7 Emergency Dental Services in Sterling? Here Are Three of the Top Reasons to Find a Provider Right Away
Call your emergency dentist right away to let them know you need attention as soon as possible for any of the following, or in life-threatening cases, go to the nearest hospital.
- Dental abscess: The sudden onset of swelling in the gums, face, or jaw accompanied by pain might be indicative of a dental abscess, which is a buildup of pus from a bacterial infection that can have serious implications for your health.
An abscess requires urgent attention to alleviate pain and treat the infection to prevent the spread of bacteria, which can move to other areas of the body and have serious health consequences.
- Fractures and knocked-out teeth: Whether it’s a sports injury, a fall, or any other trauma, a knocked-out or broken tooth requires immediate care. Quick action can often save a damaged or missing tooth.
- Uncontrolled bleeding from injury or after dental surgery: A traumatic event can cause bleeding in the mouth without dislodging or breaking teeth. If this bleeding can’t be stopped, it is an emergency situation. Additionally, dental surgeries such as extractions or implant placements can have complications like uncontrolled bleeding. Regardless of the cause, stopping blood loss is essential.
What Other Signs You Should Seek Urgent Care?
There are some symptoms that indicate you should see a provider soon, though immediate attention may not be necessary and it can wait until the next appointment. When in doubt, call your dentist to ask whether you need emergency treatment. This includes:
- Lost or dislodged dental restorations, such as crowns, bridges, or fillings can expose the affected tooth / teeth to potential damage and increases the risk of infection. Prompt attention ensures that the restoration is repositioned or replaced, preventing further complications and preserving the integrity of the treated tooth.
- Loose brackets and lost bands need quick care as well, so there is no disruption to your orthodontic treatment. In the meantime, you may be able to temporarily keep a bracket attached with orthodontic wax.
- A toothache can be accompanied by intense pain. While the cause of the pain may be minor, it may indicate an underlying issue, such as a dental abscess or a deep cavity reaching the nerve. In such cases, intervention can alleviate the pain, prevent further complications, and restore your oral and overall well-being.
- Soft tissue injuries without uncontrolled bleeding inside the mouth still need proper evaluation to determine the best treatment for proper healing.
How Can You Prevent Dental Emergencies?
If you want to help prevent the need for 24/7 emergency dental services in Sterling, there are some steps you can take. First and foremost, follow the schedule your dentist recommends for routine cleanings and checkups. This helps to make sure any potential issues that could turn into emergencies are identified and addressed before becoming severe.
Also, be sure to brush and floss in the morning, before bed, and after you eat. You also may want to use mouthwash to help minimize bacteria in your mouth that can cause infections.
Another step to take is to always wear protective mouthguards when engaging in any activities that increase your risk for oral trauma, such as playing sports.
Finally, limit your intake of foods and drinks that contribute to the development of cavities, such as those high in sugar or acid.
Outstanding Oral Health Care for Urgent Needs Is Available Here at Perfect Smiles of Reston!
We offer emergency dental services, serving patients from Sterling and other nearby communities!
Call us today at 703-982-7355 to schedule an emergency visit, or request your appointment online now for preventative services that help avoid urgent dental care.
Dr. Darvishian and the rest of our team look forward to treating you and putting your mind at ease during this tense time!