An effective dental restoration method, crowns function and look just like a permanent tooth that has been damaged, decayed, or infected.
While they are long lasting, dental crowns can break or fall out. If this happens, you should let your dentist know so they can have you come in for replacement.
Here’s what you should know about 1-hr crown replacement in Virginia.
Here’s What Happens During a 1-Hr Crown Replacement in Virginia
There are a few steps to the process when it comes to same-day crown replacement. Here’s what you can expect.
- Numbing and prepping: If necessary, your dentist will numb the area. Your tooth is then prepared for treatment.
- Digital scan: Your dentist utilizes an intraoral scanner to capture a precise digital impression of your tooth, eliminating the need for a mold.
- Design: Utilizing CAD/CAM technology, your dentist crafts a virtual blueprint of the crown, guaranteeing an accurate and tailored fit.
- Production: Within the dental office, a machine fabricates the ceramic crown based on the digital design.
- Placement: After the crown is prepared, it is positioned and firmly affixed to the prepared tooth.
- Final adjustments: Your dentist carries out any necessary modifications to ensure an impeccable fit and bite.
- Polishing and bonding: The crown is meticulously polished to replicate the natural shine of your teeth and is securely bonded in place.
- Final assessment: Your dentist thoroughly assesses the crown’s fit, aesthetics, and functionality.
Following this process, you will leave with a fully restored tooth and without the need for another visit.
How Are Traditional Crowns Made?
The process for traditional dental crowns involved multiple appointments over several weeks. Here’s a brief overview of the old approach:
- Initial consultation: The dentist examines the tooth and prepares it for the crown. An impression is taken to make a mold for the crown.
- Laboratory fabrication: The impression is sent to a dental laboratory, where the permanent crown is custom made, which could take weeks.
- Temporary crown: While waiting for fabrication of the permanent crown, the patient wears a temporary crown. This can be inconvenient and may require special care.
- Permanent crown placement: During a separate appointment, the temporary crown is removed, and the permanent crown is cemented in place.
Why Choose a Single-Visit Replacement?
There are many advantages for both patients and dental professionals. The most noteworthy advantage is the ability to complete the entire process in just one easy dental visit. This eliminates the inconvenience associated with multiple appointments and the use of temporary crowns.
As mentioned above, traditional dental crown procedures can span several weeks from the initial consultation to the placement of the permanent crown. In contrast, same-day crowns are prepared for placement within the same visit, saving patients a significant amount of time.
One of the biggest benefits is the immediate results. Patients leave the dental office with a fully restored tooth and no need to manage temporary crowns.
Temporary crowns can be uncomfortable and may necessitate dietary restrictions and special care. However, a single-visit option eliminates the need for temporary crowns, reducing discomfort and simplifying aftercare.
Digital technology plays a pivotal role in the design and fabrication of 1-hour crowns, ensuring the utmost precision. This minimizes the risk of fit issues and guarantees that the crown harmoniously matches the patient’s natural tooth.
The ceramic used for single-visit crowns offers a natural and aesthetically pleasing appearance. These crowns seamlessly blend with existing teeth, resulting in a beautiful and harmonious smile.
Same-day ceramic crowns are fabricated from durable, high-quality materials, ensuring the longevity of the restoration. This translates to a crown that looks great and also stands the test of time.
With fewer appointments and a more streamlined process, patients often experience reduced anxiety during their dental crown procedure. This leads to a more comfortable and stress-free experience overall.
What Should You Do if You Break or Lose a Dental Crown?
Experiencing a broken or lost dental crown can be a distressing situation, but there are clear steps to follow to address this issue promptly.
First and foremost, it’s crucial to contact your dentist as soon as possible to inform them about the situation. Schedule an appointment for a professional evaluation and restoration. Dental crowns play a vital role in protecting and strengthening your teeth, and it’s important to have them replaced without delay to avoid potential complications.
While waiting for your appointment, there are some measures you can take to manage the situation. If you still have the broken crown, try to keep it in a safe place, and bring it with you to your dental appointment if possible. This can assist your dentist in assessing the condition of the crown and whether it can be reattached.
However, refrain from attempting to reattach the crown yourself using over-the-counter adhesives, as this can lead to improper placement and further damage.
If you experience sensitivity or discomfort in the exposed tooth, you can use over-the-counter dental cement or a temporary dental filling material, available at most drugstores, to cover and protect the tooth.
This will help shield the tooth from temperature sensitivity and prevent food particles from getting lodged in the area.
Quick Same-Day Crowns Are Available at Perfect Smiles of Reston
Looking for a 1-hr crown replacement in Virginia? Choose Perfect Smiles of Reston for fast replacement! We’ll get you in as quickly as possible and have your new crown ready in no time.
Contact us now at 703-982-7355 to schedule your appointment, and let us maintain your oral health and your smile’s integrity through our comprehensive range of dentistry services!